January 31, 2007
But not everyone has the URL to prove it. I got an e-mail today from Miamigirl01, proprietor of the blog iloveryanfreel.blogspot.com. Though it hasn't been updated with actual Reds content since the end of the season, I think it's worth a glance, if only for the excellent movie star sunglasses she's wearing in all the photos and the ample use of smiley-faces in the posts.
Consider these rules for Reds fans:
1. No matter how bad the pitching is, DON'T BOO YOUR OWN PLAYERS!!! By booing your pitchers as they come out and with every throw, you are only lowering their self esteem. It may make you feel better, but a true fan stands by their players. If you think the pitching stinks, yell at the people who trade for them. DUH.
2. Don't only go to games where they give free stuff away. This is a sign of a luke warm fan, and therefore you are not worthy of watching games like the one Freel won last night. Shame on you if you came for a Matchbox car and left loving Freel. You stink!
3. You must have at least one of your stations programed to 700WLW even if it is a sign that you're getting old. Seriously, I swore I'd never do it, but I have, and I'm not old, male, or even boring!
4. Invest in a #3 shirt. Griffey isn't #30 anymore and that's annoying.
5. Let loose a little bit. When the scoreboard says, “Make some NOISE!!!” Don't sit and stare. That means you should put away the cell phone and risk spilling your beer while you jump up and scream!
Gotta love the enthusiasm. It's downright Ryan Freel-esque.
January 31, 2007
On Ken Broo's podcast yesterday, he played an interview with Homer Bailey he'd made during the recent Reds Caravan. You can listen to the podcast here.
I thought it was interesting to here Bailey's confidence. At the same time, I was surprised not to hear much of an ego from him. Either he know how to hide it, or he doesn't have one. If it's the latter, consider me impressed. It would have to be hard not to think highly of yourself with the lavish praise and attention that he's received.
I do hope that Bailey can make it a hard decision for the Reds this spring. If Bailey's ready, this team's starting pitching could be fierce.
January 30, 2007
As if you didn't already have enough reasons to be glad not to be a Pirates fan, this is apparently their new alternate home jersey design.
Says Pat of WHYGAS? has this to say:
Bright red vest, black lettering, black sleeves, gold trim, and bringing back the black cap with the red bill. Calling it “ugly as sin” would be offensive to sin.
Meanwhile, I'm concerned that this is just too much suffering for baseball fans in the greater Pittsburgh area and karma is bound to come around if we don't do something drastically nice for them. Quick! Let's send them Sean Casey!
January 30, 2007
We didn't mention it in the podcast, but there were a couple other celebrities split between the north and south legs of the Reds' Caravan: Gapper and Mr. Red. I think most people would think that we got the better part of the deal with Mr. Red, but I still don't think it was enough to balance out Brandon Phillips. Besides, I've got a killer idea for a one-on-one interview with the Gapper.
There were so many people hoping to catch a glimpse of Thom Brennaman that they were lined up out the door. It was freezing cold in the lobby area thanks to the fact that the front doors were propped open by the autograph seekers, which at least distracted us from the fact that we were packed in like sardines, our feet hurt from standing so long, and we couldn't hear the Q&A going on 30 feet away.
The other side of the restaurant is a big, rectangular dining room, but they elected to have these guys backlit by the three projection screens that adorn the clubhouse at Damon's. You know, this would have gone better if Rob Butcher had been there.
The Crack Technical Staff had to brave the dirty looks of the masses around us to stand up on a bench in the lobby and snap this photo.
But after all the shivering, suffering, and waiting, the line finally started to move and we got a chance to exchange a snarky comment or two with just about every guy there.
January 29, 2007
Hefty podcast this week as we take you inside the magic and wonder that is the Reds’ Caravan stop at the Damon’s in Muncie. We also chat about:
Episode 43: Reds Caravan Report (26.1 MB, 38:01)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download