This week on the podcast we'll take a break from our increasingly outdated smack talk with Bellyscratcher to chat with the Mr. Tom Browning.
For those of you who are as new to the game as I am, Browning is probably a name you've heard, but you're not sure why. So allow me to list some of his better-known accomplishment:
- He was voted into the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame this last time around.
- He pitched the only perfect game in Cincinnati Reds history.
- He pulled a stunt in which he sat on a rooftop in Chicago, in uniform, during a game. Apparently that's pretty unusual.
- He broke his arm mid-pitch. Unfortunately, that's slightly less unusual.
- He's the first person ever to be interviewed on the Red Hot Mama podcast.
You'll learn about all this and more (well, not the podcast one) in his new book, Tom Browning's Tales from the Dugout. Read my review here. It's available online for $19.95 from www.BrowningBook.com or autographed for $5 more. While you're on the site, you can find out about opportunities to get the book autographed live-and-in-person, which I think is the way to go. I can now say from experience that Tom's a heck of a guy to chat with.
In today's podcast we talk about:
- The book. Duh.
- Life in the bigs. You'll be surprised to learn that it's not PG-rated. I even got up the nerve to ask about Charlie Sheen's party.
- Race relations in the clubhouse in the 80s and 90s.
- The time he signed a woman's underwear with her still in them.
- His hopes for the 2006 team. Yes, he does have them.
Episode 8: Interview with Tom Browning. (11.0 MB, 15:17)