September 30, 2007
Episode 78: Season Wrap-Up
Standard Podcast [ 57:58 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download
I wasn’t satisfied that I’d worked through all of my end-of-season Reds issues during the Eighth Inning Show during the game this afternoon, so I kept the Crack Technical Staff up way past his bedtime to review posts from the 2007 season and discuss the team for almost an hour. It was therapeutic.
On the podcast we discuss:
- How the postseason is shaking out, including a former Red’s contribution.
- Who we’ll root for as the playoffs progress, assuming we’re still paying attention by then.
- The differences in performance and expectations for several of the Reds players. Some disappointed, such as David Ross and Bronson Arroyo; others surprised, such as Brandon Phillips and Adam Dunn.
- The management of the team over the course of the season. No podcast would be complete without a little bitching about the management.
- How bleak and un-fun the content on Red Hot Mama was all season long, and whether the team will be more enjoyable to follow next season.
And, so much more. Plus, I throw in several instances of the word “shit” and its derivatives, so this episode will get the “Explicit” rating.
Episode 78: Season Wrap-Up (39.8MB, 57:58)
I noticed this season was extremely un-funny as well. I did some thnking on the subject and I concluded that it was because we had reasonably high expectations for this team and they disappointed in such a pathetic fashion that it was impossible to laugh. Back in 2004 when the team was utterly inept in nearly every facet of the game, it was a lot easier to label them clowns and laugh at their keystone cop antics on the field. This current team should be winning ball games, but the bullpen failed time and time again. Nothing is more rage provoking than a sorry bullpen that can’t protect a lead — hence my near assassination attempt on Gary Majewski — who is with this team next year I absolutely refuse to attend a single game.
ANYHOO… this blog still cracked me up a few times. This one was always my favorite because of the high comedy content interspersed with some good baseball talk. I guess I also appreciate the fact Amanda is trying to balance a job, this blog, and her kid and family all at once… keep up the good work RHM — your the best! Or 4th best according to the sports illustrated blog poll, a few months ago.
I also think Farney’s Funhouse and Reds Rocket are good reads, although the Farney site isn’t updated frequently. Rocket is really good though, the guy is hilarious.
Thanks, smartelf. I laughed out loud at the part about the SI poll. I should add a new tag line: “Red Hot Mama: Gunning for third best of the Reds blogs.”
Thanks for blogging RHM… don’t be a stranger in the off season!