Blog Archives

February 20, 2012

Johnny Cueto tabbed as 2012 Opening Day starter

Cueto walking on the stage at RedsFestAs has become Cincinnati Reds’ manager Dusty Baker’s custom, today he announced that the 2012 Opening Day starter would be Johnny Cueto. If you’ll remember, last year he selected Edinson Volquez before any games were played.

Dusty Baker confirmed what he’s said this winter: Johnny Cueto will start Opening Day.

My reaction to hearing this news was to utter a quote from The Wedding Singer. No, it probably wasn’t the one you’re thinking of.

They’ll be divorced in a year!

Yeah, that’s the one. Given Cueto’s youth and success with the team, though, I kind of doubt he’ll flame out like Volquez did and be traded away. Really, the only question concerning Cueto after is his ability to stay healthy. But if he isn’t on the disabled list come the start of the season, then he’ll already be ahead of last year.

November 11, 2011

Johnny Cueto Wins’s Reds’ Pitcher of the Year

In a similar award to the one received by Joey Votto’s, awarded Johnny Cueto as the Cincinnati Reds’ Pitcher of the Year.

This might have been hard to believe at the beginning of the year, given that Cueto missed the first month of the season with shoulder inflammation. But he really was the Reds’ best pitcher, and missed winning the National League’s ERA title by just 6 innings.

Instead, Cueto settled for a 9-5 record with a 2.31 ERA in 156 innings. He pitched three of the Reds’ four complete games (Bronson Arroyo had the other), and his 1.090 WHIP was best in their starting rotation.

“Hopefully, next year, he can be a 200-innings guy,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “It’s a good feeling when you have Johnny Cueto every fifth day. The team feels confident. I can manage a little differently the day before knowing he’s going to go deep in games and I probably won’t use my bullpen. That’s huge.”

Congratulations, Mr. Cueto. I’d love to see you put up 200 inning at a level close to what you did in 2010.

January 20, 2011

Reds Tie Up Cueto for Four years, $27 Million

Everyone loves CuetoThe Cincinnati Reds have avoided arbitration with right-hander Johnny Cueto by signing him to a four-year, $27 million contract. This deal will take care of Cueto’s contract situation for all of his arbitration years plus one year of free agency.

It’s the deal that we wanted for Joey Votto, though I’m pretty darn happy to have it for Cueto as well.

Maybe the most surprising part of all is that it is announced on the same day that it appeared in other news media:

Cueto and the Reds have reached agreement on a four-year, $27 million contract extension, according to a report on on Thursday night. The Reds did not immediately confirm the report, which said the agreement is pending a physical examination.

It’s an exciting time for the team. They’ve been growing these players for ever-so-long, and now we’re getting to enjoy the fruits of their labor as all these pieces come together at the same time. Could be a helluva year.