Our Brewers preview interview was postponed last night due to our recording equipment picking up an errant AM radio station. We’ll try again tomorrow, but in the meantime, the Crack Technical Staff and I catch up on what’s been going on around the division.
- Kaz Matsui has undergone surgery to repair his anal fissure. He’ll be out two to three weeks, and will miss the opening.
- Utility man Mark Loretta will replace Matsui.
Manager Ned Yost has interesting plans for his lineup.
- Mike Cameron will bat 2nd when he returns from his drug suspension. Yost wants Cameron’s replacement to also bat 2nd, so as not to disrupt the delicate order of the line-up.
- Yost will have the pitcher bat 8th.
Tweet tweet Cardinals
- Finally signed Kyle Lohse for 1 year and $4.25 M. What the hell happened to the consensus best free agent starting pitcher? Collusion? Backlash against Scott Boras?
- Rumors that the Cubs will trade with the Orioles for lead-off hitter Brian Roberts continue to abound and be squashed.
- Kerry Wood looks to be the closer for this season.
- Ryan Dempster might not make the starting rotation.
- Steve Pearce, one of the Pirates best prospects was cut and send down to AAA camp.
- Starter Ian Snell signed a long-term deal ($8 M over three years). With options, could buy out a year of free agency.
Watch out for McCarthy, Reds
- Jeremy Affeldt has been moved to the bullpen.
- Rotation looks to be Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Josh Fogg, Johnny Cueto, and Edinson Volquez